Papanui Open Range Eggs
What is Papanui?
- Papanui is a property located near Merriwa in the Upper Hunter Valley of NSW.
- The property supports beef cattle and open range eggs as complimentary enterprises.
- Papanui has been a family run property since 1964 and we began producing open-range eggs in 2001.
How does it work?
- The chooks roost in mobile homes, made from old buses.
- They follow the cattle in a planned grazing system, moving every few days to fresh pasture.
- They are protected by Maremma dogs from foxes, eagles and other prey.
Why Open Range?
- Our chooks have complete freedom to roam as far as they like every day, and are not contained by any fences.
- They have a full beak enabling them to forage properly for food in the paddocks.